Do you need a lawyer to file for ODSP? Ottawa injury lawyer David Hollingsworth explains why you don’t and when you might.

Request A Free Consultation

Do you need a lawyer to file for ODSP? Ottawa injury lawyer David Hollingsworth explains why you don’t and when you might.

The role of an Ottawa Injury Lawyer and ODSP claims

We had a question come in this week and it’s one we get regularly so I figured I would answer it here on the blog for others to see.

The question was about ODSP and does one need a lawyer to make a claim.  The answer is no. ODSP is the Ontario Disability Support Program and is a social assistance program that helps with income support and is based on your financial situation and your disability status. ODSP provides income support and helps people with disabilities who are in financial need pay for living expenses, like food, housing and finding a job.  ODSP also offers employment support which helps people with disabilities who can and want to work prepare and find a job.

If you qualify to receive income support, the amount you receive varies on

  • the size of your family
  • your income
  • what assets you may have
  • housing costs.

Other benefits available are:

Should you qualify for Income Support, your family may also qualify for benefits, such as:

  • drug and dental coverage
  • eye care
  • hearing aids
  • diabetic supplies
  • transportation costs to appointments
  • wheelchair/mobility devices  repairs and batteries
  • guide dog support
  • work-related expenses.

Many people believe that they need a lawyer to apply for ODSP and that is untrue.  If you have been in an accident and have a personal injury lawyer then absolutely they can help you make this claim. However, the ODSP process is very straightforward you can apply for yourself. If your ODSP claim is denied and you want to appeal it, then you may want to consult with a lawyer to get the best advice possible. There are also legal aid clinics throughout Ottawa and eastern Ontario that can help with ODSP claims.  When in doubt, it never hurts to consult.

Here in Ottawa, the ODSP office is located at:

Ministry of Community and Social Services
Ontario Disability Support Program-Income Support and Employment Supports
351 Preston Street, 2nd floor

(613) 234-1188 or toll-free: 1-800-267-5111  or TTY: (613) 787-3959  or Fax: (613) 783-5958


About the Author

David Hollingsworth has been a personal injury lawyer in Ottawa since 1999. David dedicates himself to helping people who have been injured in an accident, including car accidents, slip and fall accidents, motorcycle accidents, LTD claims, Accident Benefits claims and more. David and his team work closely with their clients and their families and help rebuild lives, following a traumatic accident. To learn more about David Hollingsworth, view his full profile.