Applying for an Ontario Accident Benefits Package Forms? Here is what you need to know.

Request A Free Consultation

Applying for an Ontario Accident Benefits Package Forms? Here is what you need to know.

If you have been in a motor vehicle accident in Ontario and you have suffered a personal injury, you will likely need to apply for Ontario accident benefits from your own insurance company, regardless of who is at fault in the accident.  Obtaining the forms is simple, simply visit the Financial Services Commission of Ontario website and download the forms. Filling out the forms properly is critical to your personal injury claim. It is always best that you get an experienced personal injury lawyer to fill out the forms for you to ensure that no loopholes are missed and that you get the maximum compensation for your injuries.  We fill out all the Ontario accident benefit forms for our clients. There is no charge for doing this, it’s simply a way to protect you and make sure that you get everything you are entitled to. The main forms in the Ontario accident benefits package:

1. Application for Accident Benefits (OCF-1)

This Application for Accident Benefits form must be completed and returned within 30 days of receiving the accident benefits package. If you are unable to return your accident benefits forms within 30 days, submit your forms late to your insurance company and provide anyway and a detailed explanation as to why the forms are late. Your Ontario personal injury lawyer can also do this for you on your behalf. It is always recommended that you let your personal injury lawyer represent you and deal directly with your insurance company. Always keep a copy for your records.

2. Employer’s Confirmation of Income (OCF-2)

This accident benefit form needs to be filled out only if you are claiming Income Replacement Benefits. This means you were employed for at least 26 weeks in the year prior to your accident and you are unable to return to work for more than a week following your accident.

3. Disability Certificate (OCF-3)

This accident benefit form must be completed by you and your treating physicians or other health practitioner (chiropractors, dentists, occupational therapists, nurse practitioners, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, optometrists, physicians, speech-language pathologists or psychologists).

4. Permission to Disclose Health Information (OCF-5)

This accident benefit form gives your insurance company full access to your medical records. Please do not fill out this form unless the adjuster handling your claim specifically requests it. Please also consider allowing your personal injury lawyer to fill out this form on your behalf. If your personal injury lawyer is representing you, they can ask your insurance adjuster which medical records are required and why.

5. Pre-approved Framework Treatment Confirmation Form (OCF-23)

This accident benefits form only needs to be filled out if your injuries fall into certain categories and your insurance company requests it.

The OCF-23 Treatment Confirmation form is to be used to notify an insurer that the healthcare facility (HCF) intends to treat an injured patient in the Pre-Approved Framework (if the accident date is prior to September 1, 2010) or in the Minor Injury Guideline. The OCF-23 Treatment Confirmation form is used to notify an insurer that the health care facility (HCF) intends to treat an injured patient in the Pre-Approved Framework (if the accident date is prior to September 1, 2010) or in the Minor Injury Guideline (for accident dates on or after September 1, 2010). If in doubt, ask your Ontario personal injury lawyer if this form applies to you.

6. Election of Income Replacement, Non-Earner, or Caregiver Benefit (OCF-10)

In most cases, you will be entitled to Income Replacement Benefit, Non-Earner Benefit and/or Caregiver Benefit; you can only receive one of these accident benefits. You must select which accident benefit you wish to receive. Your personal injury lawyer will know which is the best choice for you and which accident benefit offers you maximum compensation. Let your personal injury lawyer address this with the insurance company on your behalf. This accident benefit form must also be returned no later than 30 days from the day you receive your accident benefits package. Always make a copy for your own records.

7. Application for Expenses (OCF-6)

This Ontario accident benefits form is used to submit expenses such as medication; physiotherapy, massage or other treatment approved by the insurer; babysitting; attendant care; housekeeping or home maintenance; transportation; destroyed clothing or glasses, etc. Original receipts for any claimed expenses must be submitted with this form.  It is critical that you keep all receipts. In fact, I suggest you keep a “journal” of all related expenses so that when it comes time to be compensated, nothing gets missed.

8. Activities of Normal Life (OCF-12)

If you are eligible for housekeeping, attendant care or non-earner benefits, this accident benefits form must be completed. Your personal injury lawyer will be able to explain to you whether or not you are eligible.

9. Declaration of Post-Accident Income and Benefits (OCF-13)

This accident benefit form is to be used if you are unable to work at your regular job or regular hours, but are able to partially work to some extent or get disability benefits from your work. This form can be used by your insurance company to calculate the amount of your Income Replacement Benefits. We understand that being in an accident is very stressful. Unfortunately, the insurance process afterwards can also be very stressful. We as personal injury lawyers remove this stress from our clients. We fill out, submit all Ontario accident benefits forms for our clients and make sure they are done right. The reality is that one small mistake can result in the loss of thousands of dollars and we don’t want that happening to anyone. Let us help you… For more information, contact us.

About the Author

David Hollingsworth has been a personal injury lawyer in Ottawa since 1999. David dedicates himself to helping people who have been injured in an accident, including car accidents, slip and fall accidents, motorcycle accidents, LTD claims, Accident Benefits claims and more. David and his team work closely with their clients and their families and help rebuild lives, following a traumatic accident. To learn more about David Hollingsworth, view his full profile.